“ Sui Southern Gas Company, abbreviated as SSGS, was established on 30th March, 1989, it is created with amalgamations of three open uping energy companies viz. , Sui Gas Transmission Company, Karachi Gas Company and Indus Gas Company ” . “ Sui Gas Transmission Company Limited was formed in 1954 with a mainpurpose of gas purification at the Sui field in Balochistan and its transmittal to the ingestion centres at Karachi ” .In 1956company started providing gas in many citiesof Sindh through the path of transmitted linesinterconnected with Sui and Karachi ” . “ In 1985, these 2 distributing houses were merged to organize southern Gas Company Limited ”
Now SSGC is a “ public limited company, with more than 70 % direct shareholding by Government of Pakistan. It has an authorised capital of RS.10 Billion, out of which RS. 6.7 Billion is issued to the full and paid up and is managed by an assorted stockholders. Presently SSGC Board has 14 members drawn both from Public and Private sectors ” . ‘The Managing Director/ Chief Executive isselected by the Government and has been given powers by the Board of Directorswhich areimportant to carry on the concern of the company.
“ Now, SSGCis back uping 1000000s of consumers. Domestic consumers comprise the overpowering bulk of those users ( 98.8 % ) . However, Commercial consumers represent 1 % ingestion and Industrial consumers represent 0.2 % ingestion ” .[ I ]
“ Human Resource Department ( HR ) ” : It is the set of persons who make up the “ work force ” of an organisation. “ HR section serves as the anchor of any organisation. It is responsible to pull off employees ‘ dealingss, rights, transportations, choice and terminating, question, compensation and benefits etc.
In SSGC, the Human Resource Department is divided in 3 divisions viz. Operational, Industrial Relations and Organizational Development and Training. Operational Department trades with the personal businesss related to the Executive cell while Industrial Relation trades with subordinatecadre. And the Organizational Development is engagedwithHR be aftering and development ” . Human Resource Department of SSGC follows “ Equal Employment Opportunity ” criterions and believes that both, male and female should be treated reasonably while choice, expiration, preparation, supplying benefits and compensations etc.[ two ]
Main Functions of SSGC HR Department
“ Organizational Development ”
“ Leave Management ”
“ Question and Discipline ”
“ Recruitment ”
“ Grudge Management ”
“ Contracts Management ”
“ Industrial Relations ”
“ Human Resource Information System ( HRIS ) ”
“ Performance Appraisal “
“ Transportations and Posters ”[ three ]
( Briefly discoursing approximately supra mentioned maps )
1. “ OrganizationalDevelopment ” : This bomber section is managed by Mrs. Binish Qaseem, who is the caput of this subdivision, besides known as, Training and Development. The chief intent of this sub-department sectionis to give workshops to the employees so that their on the job ability additions. Furthermore, there is aworkshop named as “ Succession Planning ” , in which employees were given preparations for higher ranks.
2. “ Leave Management ” : This is besides one of the chief subdivisions of HR section of SSGC. It is headed by Mr. WaqqarHeider. Leave Management, besides known as “ Absence Management ” . Employees ‘ absent informations is managed in SSGC in the package named “ ORACLE ” . Leaveofheads and junior employees is managed. Leave signifier should be filled along with the signature of several section ‘s director before directing it to HR section to maintain a path of an employees ‘ absence.Extra leave is conveyed to the concerned section by HR director to allow every employee know his/her leave handiness. Main foliages permitted by SSGC Human Resource section are:
“ Ill leave ” : Up to 25 yearss allowance to SSGC employees ” .[ four ]
“ Casual leave: Up to 3 insouciant foliages are allowed to junior workers and 5 insouciant foliages to the senior employees ” .[ V ]
“ Hajj leave ” : This leave is acceptable up to 29 to 36 yearss, depends upon the years’work of an employee.[ six ]
“ Non-Pay Leave: This is the instance, when employees want a leave but they can non avail more foliages due to transcending their leave limit.Sodepartment will let their off but will non supply the wage. Maximum transcending leave requires MD ‘s permission.[ seven ]
“ Official circuit visit ” : Leave granted due to some official circuit. It is for half month and go forth for officetour requires MD ‘s permission ” .[ eight ]
“ Official Off-leave ” : ” Leaves granted for the rites such as Eid, Diwali etc. Maximumavailability3 yearss ” .[ nine ]
“ Pregnancy leave ” : This is permitted for three and half months and 2 times in a whole of a lady employee calling at that place. And this leave required an blessing of DirectorHealth section and so afterwards goes for keeping a path at HR section.[ x ]
3. “ Enquiry and Discipline ” : This subdivision is managed by Mr.Suhail Jaleel. When any bad behaviorof worker is observed and recorded byrespective concerned section, it has been so posted to HumanResource section to conductinquireonworker ‘s misbehave in a formal certification called “ Charge sheet ” . This charge sheet includes ; “ facts of question ” , “ Acts of the Apostless of question ” , ” prosecution version ” , “ defence version ” , ” findings of question ” and “ decisions ” & amp ; ” recommendation ” . And after the consequence, ifperson/worker found blameworthy, GM HumanResourcegive suggestions sing how to punishaccording to the books of Ethical motives in this company ; such as “ No granting of annual increase for 1-2 old ages ” , take downing the grade/rank for 6 months, without paysuspension for four months or ending ( i.e. Dismissing ) that individual.[ xi ]
4. “ Recruitment ” : Recruitment bomber department/section is managed by Mr. Ali Akber, who is a “ Recruitment Manager ” . Employees in SSGC are given Grades. Rate 1 Designation held the least station while Grade 10 Designation held the highest station and after that Board of Directors are at that place, which are above Grade 10 and are non ranked harmonizing to the class.[ xii ]
SSGC Human Resource Department follows 3 types of Recruitment:
“ Internal Recruitment: In this type of enlisting, employees within the SSGC Company can make full the vacant station with the desired needed making. No new employee from outside fill the vacant station ” .[ xiii ]
“ External Recruitment: In this type, vacant station and desired making demand for that station is advertized so that foreigners can make full this vacant station, holding such required makings ” .[ xiv ]
“ Ex-staff Recruitment: In this type, company petition to an experient employee to make full the vacant station so that workshould be doneaccurately and in less times ”[ xv ]
After enlisting from either of the above type of enlisting, HR section follows farther processs of enlisting such as, ” Selection Committee ” , “ Choice and Interview ” , “ Medical Exam ” , “ Security Clearance ” , “ Appointment ” , “ Sequence Planning ” , “ Notice Periods, ” ” Exit Formalities ” , “ Service type ” and “ after service compensation policy ” .
5. “ Grievance Management ” : Mr. Waqaar Sheikh is the caput of this sub department/section of HR department.In this, it is being dealt with the issuesof thesubordinates in formal mode. Most of the issues are sing giving employees a senior status based publicity. When the formal papers is received by the Head/Manager of this section, he so confirms the application so do ratings an employee ‘s work so take possible decisionsunder his authorityso that employee acquire satisfied.[ xvi ]
6. “ Contracts Management ” : Thissub department/section is managed and headedby Mr. Sattar Shahaani. The slogan of this is to make a contactsigning by several parties so that they could make work on contracts merely, to accomplish their intent of supplying gas. This subdivision was formed when “ Ministry of Oil and Gas ” banned the enlisting of workers, for authorities owned companies. So, due to that, SSGC formed this bomber section to engage party for their running undertakings on contracts, so workin a consistent manner without holds.[ xvii ]
7. “ Industrial Relations ” : This subdivision is handled and managed by Mr. Iqbaal Husain. It deals with the dealingss of Labor Unions. Labor Union in SSGC is named as “ People ‘s Labor Association ” ( PLA ) . The PLA negotiates with the caput of this section on their demands ; under certain conditionsregarding brotherhood members should be settled. Most of the traffics andtalks heldare on giving employees with some benefits and fringe benefits on their work public presentation.[ xviii ]
8. “ Human resource Information System ( HRIS ” ) : This subdivision is managed by MR. Fakhir. It is a affiliated system, designed to givetracked information. Themain slogan of this subdivision is to maintain a record of informations related to Human resource Department. Such as “ record of worker sent on workshop/training, record of new employee beingrecruited, record of those, who misbehaved ” .[ xix ]
9. “ Performance Appraisal ” : This subdivision is headed by Mr. Ali Imraan.The reappraisal on public presentation assessment starts from June and ends up in Decembersame twelvemonth. It is conducted through some series of stairss sing public presentation rating and employees are awarded with pecuniary and non-monetary benefits and fringe benefits consequently.[ xx ]
“ Measure 1. Performance Plan: It is regulated at the beginning of the twelvemonth ( i.e. January ) . The public presentation program signifier is comprise of subdivisions such as, ongoing responsibilities, the responsibilities employee is executing now, hereafter planned aims to accomplish and HRMdevelopment aims. In this measure, employee is supposed to place what development he/she be needed to execute his/her occupation more satisfactorily ” .
“ Measure 2. Executive Input Form: The input signifier is filled by executives in the starting of the reappraisal twelvemonth ( i.e. June ) . In which it is being checked whether the ends and aims set by the employee in the public presentation program are being achieved or non. Evaluation at this phase let the employee, a opportunity to judge his public presentation on his ain set standard ” .
“ Measure 3. Performance Review Form: This measure is the last rating measure performed by SSGC Human Resource Department at the terminal of the twelvemonth ( i.e. December ) .Sections mentioned in this signifier are, name, section, class, mark achieved or non ” .
And so public presentation rate is given harmonizing to the rating. Rating 80 or above agencies performed excess normally good, evaluation 66 to 79 agencies really good performed, evaluation 51 to 65 agencies merely performed harmonizing to outlooks, evaluation 26 to 65 agencies public presentation below outlooks and Rating below 25 agencies public presentation non acceptable or hapless public presentation.
10. “ Transportations and Posters ” : This subdivision is headed and controlled by Mr. Dinesh Mehtaand sometimes supervised by Mr. Sattar Shahaani.
There are 6 types of transportation in Sui Southern Gas Company
“ Disciplinary transportation ” : In this, reassign done by direction to penalize an employee who did misconduct. Employee is transferred from proper and suited topographic point to remote and negligible topographic point in punishment.[ xxi ]
“ Interdepartmental transportation ” : In this type, employee is being shifted from one section to another because of an emerging demand by a section due to deficient employee. So employee transferred from one section to another on the needed demand fulfilment.[ xxii ]
“ Operational petition based transportation ” : This type is besides called “ Job Rotation ” . In this, worker/employee gets an chance to make some different and new undertaking which varies from his day-to-day everyday undertaking.[ xxiii ]
“ Performance based transportation ” : This transportation is like actuating employees who work and performed excess normally good. So they get posted to the convenient and desired topographic point[ xxiv ]
Personal petition transportation: Transportations made on personal demand due household grounds and wellness issues. So he/she is being transferred to the most suited and convenient topographic point desired by an employee.
“ Political requisition ” : In this type, concerned employee get transferred to the section recommended on behalf of political recommendations[ xxv ]
General Purpose: General Purpose of my undertaking research is Human Resource Department of Sui Sothern Gas Company and to be good cognizant with the fact that how the Human Resource Department plays an of import function in SSGC. It serves as a anchor of the SSGC because it is the one which is responsible for recruitment procedure, choosing best employees for the company, giving them developing so that they should be productive along with supplying them with public presentation assessment program so that they should accomplish their mark consequently and concentrate on Company ‘s future ends, missions and aims. It has several maps ( discussed supra ) . Each map is performed by different subdivisions or sub-departments of Human Resource Department so that SSGC should work swimmingly. Such maps of HR Department are:
“ Organizational Development ”
“ Leave Management ”
“ Question and Discipline ”
“ Recruitment ”
“ Grudge Management ”
“ Contracts Management ”
“ Industrial Relations ”
“ Human Resource Information System ( HRIS ) ”
“ Performance Appraisal ”
“ Transportations and Posters ”
Specific Purpose: Specific Purpose of my undertaking research isFunctions of Human Resource Department and to concentrate merely on the maps of Human Resource Department and to see what these maps are used for.
The range of my survey will be limited to merely Human Resource Department and its maps at Sui Southern Gas Company. My survey research will non travel through any other section such as Marketing Department, Finance Department, Production Department, and Customer Service Department etc.
Following are my hypothesis ( premises ) sing Sui Southern Gas Company:
1. All Human Resource Management work is managed automatically through Human Resource Information System.
2. All employees ( including labour ) are sent for preparations and workshops for their productiveness and promotion of cognition.
3. Increases and benefits are decently provided to every employee harmonizing to their work and behavior
After my findings, I come up with the following replies sing my above mentioned 3 hypothesis:
1. All work is managed automatically via Human Resource Information System EXCEPT the attending of SSGC employees. There is a manual attending system in SSGC. So in my sentiment this attending should besides be based on mechanization computing machine system.
2. No educational preparation is provided to labour employees. So in my sentiment, labour employees should be sent for educational preparation and workshops because since they are illiterate, so educational preparation will non merely better their cognition and performance/productivity but besides their attitude towards their equals and employers.
3. In my hypothesis, all employees receive increases and benefits BUT this hypothesis is wholly incorrect. Increases and benefits are given on the footing of the senior status degree and largely to the senior employees in SSGC.
My research for subject is alone and will assist pupils of BBA to hold an advanced cognition sing Human Resource Management of Sui Southern Gas Company. Students will besides be able to cognize the maps of Human Resource Department and how these maps work for the improvement of SSGC. Furthermore, they will be cognizant of the policies and codification of behavior maintained by SSGC sing enlisting, leave direction, transportations & A ; posters, public presentation assessment, labour brotherhood and misconduct etc. So, this will give them an overall thought of Sui Southern Gas Company ( SSGC ) and even this will be good if they want to make their internship from SSGC in Human Resource Department because my research survey is all about Human Resource Department and maps performed by Human Resource Department.
Observations: During my undertaking research at Sui Southern Gas Company ( SSGC ) , I observed legion undermentioned things:
Proper Industrial dealingss with Labor Union named as “ People ‘s Labor Association ” ( PLA ) of SSGC. Head ofPLA negotiates decently over “ charter of demands ” with the direction.
No misconduct behaviour or inappropriate attitude of labors/workers with their employees/ supervisors because of the rigorous policies and codifications of behavior against misconduct behaviour of an employee.
Proper manner of covering with ailments sing any issue under the subdivision of “ Grievance Management ” , headed by Mr. Waqaar Sheikh.
Proper record of an employee, who has been recruited, sent on training/workshop, transferred to other subdivision, dismissed or even employee on leave through Human Resource Information System ( HRIS ) . But the lone thing, which was manually tracked, was day-to-day employee attending.
Last, but non the least, I observed that there was no proper supplication room or pray country at all at SSGC Head Office Karachi. So in my sentiment, there should be separate supplication suites for ladies and gents so that they can decently execute their supplications.
Structured Interview: I have asked several inquiries from the Deputy General Manager ( HR ) , Mr. Shahbaz Islam and I thank to him for taking out his cherished clip to reply my inquiries.
Q1.What is the “ Mission Statement ” of HR Department of SSGC?
Autonomic nervous systems: “ To proactively keep best HR patterns ; keep transparence in enlisting, compensation and benefits, career/succession planning, oversing, enhance personal effectivity, encourage creativeness, squad civilization, ownership of strategic ends and seeing positive attitude towards change enterprise to pitch for organisational growing ” .
Q2. What is the “ Vision Statement ” of HR Department of SSGC?
Autonomic nervous systems: “ Committed to be strategic concern spouse instilling a civilization taking to efficiency. Human Resource Management, advanced thoughts, policies, procedures and self-renewal of human capital through effectual preparation and organisational development enterprises to achieve professional and motivated work force ” .
Q3. Is Performance Appraisal System the merely method to measure the public presentation?
Autonomic nervous systems: No! There are other methods that evaluate public presentation, such as ; sometimes, employees are delegated authorization to finish the undertaking on their ain and manage theirtime and premises accordingly.So this will non merely actuate them but besides make them measure their public presentation harmonizing to the completion of work on their ain. Another method is “ Bonus System ” , in which the more employees work for more than their on the job hours, the more wage they will have. So in this manner, employees perform more and measure that how much they worked excess to acquire fillip.
Q4: Why there is a manual attending system alternatively of holding all other work automated?
Autonomic nervous systems: We are working on it and it will shortly be converted to an automatic pollex sensing attending system where every employee will be asked to set his/her pollex on attending scanner and will be marked “ present at work ” if his/her pollex detected and matched. And even that information will be connected with Human Resource Information System ( HRIS ) . So in this manner, employees ‘ attending record will be maintained.
Q5: How you normally motivate employees?
Autonomic nervous systems: We normally actuate our employees with some undermentioned 3 factors:
“ Individualistic policy ” : This policy means that allow employees make up one’s mind that how they should make their work and what resources they will use is wholly depends on employees.
“ Training and workshops ” : To allow them aware with the advanced engineerings and methods so that they should be more efficient.
“ Non-Financial Benefits ” : We offer most of the clip non-financial benefit s to our esteemed employees such as, giving them award on excess ordinary public presentation, 2 yearss leave grant, observing their birthdays and even sometimes, we grant populating disbursal and primary instruction disbursal of kids to our worthy and loyal employees.
Definition of Key Footings
“ Human Resource Department of Sui Southern Gas Company ( Head Office ”
Human Resource: ” It is the set of persons who make up the ” work force ” of an organisation. It is the resource which manages all other resources. It is like a supportive bodyof any organisation. It deals with Relations and employee ‘s Torahs and codifications of subjects ” .
Department: “ Specialized functional country within an organisation or a division ” , such as “ Accounts Department, Marketing Department, Human Resource Department, Gross saless Department ” etc. By and large every section has its ain director and concatenation of bid.
Sui Sothern Gas Company: “ It is abbreviated as SSGC, and it is Pakistan’sleading mergedcompany holding an sole sale and distribution licence in the state of Sindh and Balochistan. It has a series of amalgamations and most of the portions are owned by Pakistan Government. It provides Gas to domestic every bit good as industrial users ” .
Head Office: “ It is the chief office of an organisation where the most of the administrative work is done and whereBoard of Directors meets ” .
My undertaking research at Sui Southern Gas Company was a pleasant experience. I have learned a batch sing Sui Southern Gas Company ‘s internal system along with Human Resource Department and its maps. All the concerned employees ( directors ) of sub-departments of Human Resource Department were really concerted. They non merely guided me sing their several sub-departments, ( such as, Recruitment procedure, Leave direction, Performance assessment etc ) , but besides helped me to see things from a wider skyline. Therefore, this undertaking research at Sui Southern Gas Company ( Head Office ) , Karachi, helped me derive an overall experience which will turn out to do me work and understand Human Resource better than earlier.