Chapter 2 – GENERAL ACCEPTABILITY CRITERIA
2-1 GENERAL. The demands in this Handbook together with appropriate administrative regulations and ordinances constitute the lower limit acceptable standards for eligibility of bing belongingss.
2-2 REAL ESTATE ENTITY. The belongings must consist a individual readily marketable existent estate entity.
2-3 PARTY OR LOT LINE WALL. A edifice constructed on or to a belongings line must be separated from the bordering edifice, by a wall widening the full tallness of the edifice from the foundation to the ridge of the roof. The wall can divide row type townhouses or semi-detached units, There must be Adequate infinite between edifices to allow care of the exterior walls
2-4 Service AND FACILITIES.
- Trespass. Each populating unit must be able to be used and maintained separately without trespass upon bordering belongingss. Any easement required must run with the land.
- Utilities must be independent for each life unit except that common services, such as H2O, sewer, gas and electricity, may be provided for populating units under a individual mortgage or ownership. Separate public-service corporation service shut-offs for each unit shall be provided. For populating units under separate ownership, common public-service corporation services may be provided from the chief to the edifice line when protected by easement or compact and care understanding acceptable to HUD. Individual utilities functioning a life unit shall non go through over, under, or through another life unit, unless proviso is made for fix and care of public-service corporations without trespass on bordering belongingss or legal proviso is made for lasting right of entree for care and fix of public-service corporations.
- Other Facilities must be independent for each life unit, except that common services, such as wash and storage infinite or warming, may be provided for in two-to-four life unit edifices under a individual mortgage.
2-5 Needed Commissariats:
- Each life unit must incorporate the followers:
- A go oning supply of safe and drinkable H2O.
- Sanitary installations and a safe method of sewerage disposal.
- Heating adequate for healthful and comfy life conditions. The Field Office may find that climatic conditions are such that mechanical warming is non required.
- Domestic hot H2O.
- Electricity for illuming and for equipment used in the life unit.
- When single H2O supply and sewerage disposal systems apply, the following shall be required:
- Water quality must run into the demands of the wellness authorization holding legal power. If the local authorization does non hold specific demands, the maximal contamination degrees established by the Environmental Protection Agency ( EPA ) shall use. For location of Wellss for HUD-insured belongingss refer to 24 CFR 200.926d ( degree Fahrenheit ) ( 3 ) or HUD Handbook 4910.1, Appendix K. If the authorization is unable to execute the H2O quality analysis in a timely mode, a private, commercial proving research lab or a accredited healthful applied scientist acceptable to the authorization may take and prove H2O samples.
- Each life unit must be provided with a sewerage disposal system equal to dispose of all domestic wastes in a mode which will non make a nuisance, or in any manner endanger the public wellness. Individual cavity toilets are permitted where such installations are customary and are the lone executable agencies of waste disposal, provided they are installed in conformity with the recommendations of the local Department of Health or, in the absence of such recommendations, with the demands of the U.S. Public Health publication, “ Individual Sewage-Disposal Systems. ”
- Connection must be made to a public or community water/sewage disposal system whenever feasible.
Dwellings with wood firing ranges or solar systems used as a primary heat beginning must hold for good installed conventional heating systems that maintain at least 50 grades fahrenheit in countries incorporating plumbing systems.
2-6 NONRESIDENTIAL USE.
- Design Limitations.
- Any nonresidential usage of the belongings shall be low-level to its residential usage and character. A belongings, any part of which is designed or used for nonresidential intents, is eligible merely if the type or extent of the nonresidential usage does non impair the residential character of the belongings.
- Areas designed or used for nonresidential intents shall non transcend 25 per centum of the entire floor country. Storage countries or similar infinites which are built-in parts of the nonresidential part shall be included in the entire nonresidential country.
- Each belongings must be provided with a safe and equal walker or vehicular entree from a public or private street.
- All streets must hold an all-weather surface.
- Private streets must be protected by lasting easements and maintained by a Homeowners Association or joint care understanding.
- Entree to the life unit must be provided without go throughing through any other life unit.
Entree to the rear pace must be provided without go throughing through any other life unit. For a row-type home, the entree may be by agencies of back street, easement, transition through the home, or other acceptable agencies.
2-8 DEFECTIVE CONDITIONS. Defective building, hapless craft, grounds of go oning colony, inordinate moistness, escape, decay, termites, or other conditions impairing the safety, sanitation or structural soundness of the brooding shall render the belongings unacceptable until the defects or conditions have been remedied and the chance of farther harm eliminated.
2-9 SPACE REQUIREMENTS. Each populating unit must be provided with infinite necessary to guarantee suited life, kiping, cookery and dining adjustments and healthful installations.
2-10 MECHANICAL SYSTEMS must be safe to run, be protected from destructive elements, have sensible future public-service corporation, lastingness and economic system, and have adequate capacity and quality.
2-11 VENTILATION. Natural airing of structural infinite such as lofts and crawl infinites, must be provided to cut down the consequence of conditions of extra heat and wet which are contributing to disintegrate and impairment of the construction.
2-12 ROOF COVERING must forestall entryway of wet and supply sensible future public-service corporation, lastingness and economic system of care. When reroofing is needed for a faulty roof, already dwelling of three beds of herpes zosters, all old herpes zosters must be removed prior to re-roofing.
2-13 HAZARDS. The belongings must be free of jeopardies which may adversely impact the wellness and safety of the residents or the structural soundness of the betterments, or which may impair the customary usage and enjoyment of the belongings by the residents. The jeopardies can be remission, inundation, eroding, faulty lead base pigment ( 24 CFR Part 35 ) or the similar.
2-14 CRAWL SPACE. In order to see against conditions which could do impairment to the edifice and earnestly impact the marketability of the belongings, it is required that:
- There must be equal entree to the crawl infinite.
- The floor joists must be sufficiently above the highest degree of the land to supply entree for care and fix of ductwork and plumbing.
- The crawl infinite must be clear of all dust and decently vented.
- Any inordinate moistness or ponding of H2O in the crawl infinite must be corrected.
2-15 DRAINAGE. The site must be graded so as to supply positive, rapid drainage off from the margin walls of the home and prevent ponding of H2O on the site.