We like pogostick!!!!!!!! hjgvc,flkJJJJJJJJJjggggggggggggrhrhrhrhrhrhrh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhJJfeJ;we OG901E9QR[AEROlGJ POQI ‘OGIJTAWE’OIRGJ Q[ftutq vhe Flatiron Building, originally the Fuller Building, is located at 175 Fifth Avenue in the borough of Manhattan, New York City, and is considered to be a groundbreaking skyscraper. Upon completion in 1902, it was one of the tallest buildings in the city and one of only two skyscrapers north of 14th Street – the other being the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower, one block east.
The building sits on a triangular island- block formed by Fifth Avenue, Broadway and East 22nd Street, with 23rd Street grazing the triangle’s northern (uptown) peak. As with numerous other wedge- shaped buildings, the name “Flatiron” derives from its resemblance to a cast-iron clothes iron. The building anchors the south (downtown) end of Madison Square and the north (uptown) end of the Ladies’ Mile Historic District. The neighborhood around it is called the Flatiron District after its signature building, which has become an icon of New York City. ] The building was designated a New York City landmark in 1966,  was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1989.  Contents [hide] 1 History of the site 2 Architecture 3 Impact 4 “23 skidoo” 5 Original tenants and subsequent history 6 The building sold 7 The building today 8 In popular culture 9 Gallery 10 See also 11 References 12 External links History of the site The site on which the Flatiron Building would stand was bought in 1857 by Amos Eno, ho would shortly build the Fifth Avenue Hotel on a site diagonally across from it.
Eno tore down the four-story St. Germaine Hotel on the south end of the lot, and replaced it with a seven-story apartment building, the Cumberland. On the remainder of the lot he built four three-story buildings for commercial use. This left four stories of the Cumberland’s northern face exposed, which Eno rented out to advertisers, including the New York Times, who installed a sign made up of electric lights. Eno later put a canvas screen on the wall, and projected images onto it from a agic lantern on top of one of his smaller buildings, presenting advertisements and interesting pictures alternately.
Both the Times and the New York Tribune began people would gather in Madison Square, waiting for the latest results.  During his life Eno resisted suggestions to sell “Enols flatiron”, as the site had become known, but after his death in 1899 his assets were liquidated, and the lot went up for sale. The New York State Assembly appropriated $3 million for the city to buy it, but this fell through when a newspaper reporter discovered that the plan was a graft scheme y Tammany Hall boss Richard Croker.
Instead, the lot was bought at auction by William Eno, one of Amos’s sons, for $690,000 – the elder Eno had bought the property for around $30,000 forty years earlier. Three weeks later, William re-sold the lot to Samuel and Mott Newhouse for $801 ,OOO. The Newhouses intended to put up a 12-story building with street-level retail shops and bachelor apartments above, but two years later they sold the lot for about $2 million to Cumberland Realty Company, an investment partnership created by Harry S.
Black, CEO of the Fuller Company. The Fuller Company was the first true general contractor that dealt with all aspects of building construction except design, and they specialized in building skyscrapers. Black intended to construct a new headquarters building on the site, despite the recent deterioration of the surrounding neighborhood, and he engaged Chicago architect Daniel Burnham to design it. The building, which would be the first skyscraper north of 14th Street, was to be named the Fuller Building after George
A. Fuller, founder of the Fuller Company and “father of the skyscraper”, who had died two years earlier, but locals persisted on calling it “The a name which has since been made official. Architecture The Flatiron Building was designed by Chicago’s Daniel Burnham as a vertical Renaissance palazzo with Beaux-Arts 5] Unlike New York’s early skyscrapers, which took the form of towers arising from a lower, blockier mass, such as the contemporary Singer Building (1902-1908), the Flatir